Thursday, July 17, 2008

a flame in beijing...

Let me tell you a secret... I have always longed and achingly wished to be in the olympics... either as the next Mark Spitz, Greg Louganis or Jessie Owens, or perhaps even as a mere part of benchwarmers in the football or baseball team from a certain South American country.

That started in Seoul. Then came Barcelona. Atlanta. Sydney. and then Athens. Several olympics after, the furthest I could hit would be my couch, watching the games on television. I even settled to at least, have the chance to watch it live or even just to breathe the same air as Juan Antonio Samaranch (former olympic committee president, is he still even alive?). But turns out the olympics is just a mere dream for someone like me.

Until now.

A couple of weeks ago, I came across an email inviting me to show my works at the Visions of Asia exhibition at the Beijing Olympics. The exhibition will be at the Beijing Capital Library this coming August and will present a whole load of artists from around the globe to represent the diversity exemplified by the olympiad. They found me and my work online through the Mcdermott Gallery website that represents me here in Cambodia. The owner, John, emailed them to contact me directly. The Ministry of Culture chose two of my works from my Saffron Spirit series which I exhibited in Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Manila...



Well, there is a glimmer of hope on my olympic sized dream afterall...

Now, it all boils down to finding enough funds for the trip (only the shipment of my artworks are handled by the exhibitor) and of course, the visa.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

fuchsiaboy said...

congrats! check out the shopping landscape for me. hehehe

the spool artist said...

hahaha. i definitely will. i already earmarked my beijing map, mind you. wangfujing dajie here i come!!!